CERTIFICATION ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS (RADIOLOGY NURSES ONLY)
Initial certification is achieved by qualifying for elegibility to sit for the certification exam and achieving a passing score on the exam. At the time you apply to sit for the certification exam, you must:
- Currently hold an active RN licence or international licensure equivalent. A photocopy of your current license must be submitted with your application.
- Have practiced as a licensed registered nurse a minimum of 2,000 hours in radiology nursing within the past 3 years. *
* Candidates must have obtained 30 contact hours of continuing education applicable to nursing care of radiology patients within the last 2 years. A minimum of 15 of the 30 contact hours must be specifically related to radiological nursing. Contact hours in radiological nursing may be accumilated through any of the categories of continuing education activities provided the content is applicable to radiological nursing.
BLS, PLS, NALS, and ACLS certification and recertification are not counted toward radiology certification and recertification, effective 2007.
To be accepted, contact hours must be approved by one of the following:
- Any agency, organization, or educational institution accredited by the American Nurses Credentialing Center Commission on Accreditation (ANCC), the credentialing body of the American Nurses Association.
- The state boards of nursing in those states where the nurses association is not accredited by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
- A program awarding continuing medical education (CME) credits.
- A program accredited or approved by the American Society of Radiologic Technologists (ASRT)or the Vascular and Interventional Radiolographers.
The continuing education requirements for certification may be met by using contact hour equivalencies as follows:1 CEU = 10 Contact Hours
1 Contact Hour = 0.1 CEU
1 Contact Hour = 60 Minutes
1 Academic Semerster Hour = 15 Contact Hours
1 Academic Quarter Hour = 12.5 Contact Hours
60 Minutes = 1 Contact Hour